Home Search  Register
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 06:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Review - That's Entertainment Wimbledon
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 13:32 
Super Duper Fan

This is my review of That’s Entertainment at Wimbledon Theatre.

This venue is within easy reach for Mo and I and we were able to go via tram which was just as well as my car was having a few problems.

We decided to do the matinee show and arrived so that we had time to have a little something to eat. We met up with Natalia and Sheila in the restaurant and had a chat before making our way to the venue just across the road. Natalie do hope you are on the road to recovery after your nasty fall down the stairs during the evening performance intermission. Shame you had to be taken to hospital causing you to miss the second half of the show.

Mo and I were so looking forward to hearing Jonathan sing again and have to say we would not have gone to see the show if Jonathan had not been appearing in it.

I saw this show at Windsor earlier in the year with Ray and the audiences were so different. Wimbledon had a more vocal male crowd in for one of the other stars in the show. Was nice to hear them whooping for the star they had come to see but unfortunately Mo and I had them sitting each side of us which was a bit harsh on the ears.

Loved the tap dancing especially in the second half when they were dressed in the gold costumes. Somehow or other I did not enjoy the dancing as much as I did at Windsor. The stamina and fitness they must have to dance for as long as they did and sing at the same time is amazing. The girl’s costumes were terrific.

As for Jonathan, oh wow, he received the only standing ovation of the night and not just by his fan base.

Jonathan came out for his first set in a dark red jacket. He was all bright eyed and bushy tailed as he launched into Be My Love and O Sole Mio. He also spoke about his mother and how she had introduced him to opera at the age of 3 whilst travelling to a camping holiday to France. Also that he spent the first 5 years of his life not that far from Wimbledon before moving to Bognor Regis.

During O Sole Mio he sat on the edge of the stage and sang to a lady sitting at the end of our row much to her delight. He always engages with the audience well and was smiling down at some ladies sitting in front of us and made eye contact with us.

When he came out to do his next set he was wearing an equally nice blue jacket. He sang Volare and had us all clapping along and one of my favourites Canto Della Terra.

In the second half for his last set of the show he had changed into his black jacket with sparkly lapels and tie. Because the lady in front of me had gone out of the auditorium I had a bird’s eye view of Jonathan at this point. Fortunately for me the staff did not allow the woman back to her seat until Jonathan had finished his set. Was just at the right moment as he launched into Over The Rainbow. I have heard this song sung many times but never by a male singer and I was dying to hear him sing it. I do like this song and have heard singers “murder” it for a better expression of words. Obviously Judy Garland’s song and who could sing it better than her. Eva Cassidy did a good rendition in her own style.

Over The Rainbow by Jonathan was divine. He sang it beautifully. He sang sweetly and powerful in all the right places. Soaring up in his deep tenor vocal range I loved every minute of it. I complimented him on it when I saw him outside after the show. Jonathan always seems to make light of any compliments but hopefully he is pleased when we praise him.

In this set he also sang Barcelona and I heard the man sitting behind me say, oh I love this song. During the clapping I heard the same man say he really enjoyed that. It was also nice to hear some of the audience whooping for Jonathan as well. He then finished the set with Nessum Dorma to which he received a thunderous applause and a very well deserved standing ovation. It was great that Jonathan received the only standing ovation of the whole show.

Afterwards we went round to the stage door as unlike Windsor Jonathan was not signing in the foyer or selling his albums. We had quite a wait for him in the rather unlike summer weather, the wind was blowing so hard it nearly knocked us over. He came out just as us ladies were all saying goodbye to each other and of course he gave us all a couple of kisses, chatted, signed and had a picture taken with Sheila. He looked very summery in his navy blue shorts, black vest top with short sleeved shirt over the top.

Thank you Jonathan for a great afternoon.

Looking forward to seeing you with the G4 lads in September.

Love Shelley xx

Post subject: Re: Review - That's Entertainment Wimbledon
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 19:32 
Super Duper Fan

Thank you Shelley for lovely review
I am getting better but soft tissue damage takes time and bruises are coming out
I am lucky as it could been worse damage

Best football team: Arsenal

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 07:25 
Admin

Greatly detailed review as always Shelley - thanks for sharing with us ;; :)

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 08:13 
Super Duper Fan

Thanks for your review Shelley.

I was at the Thursday matinee with Ruth and Glenda. We met Christine, Colin and Natalie in the pub across the road.

We all enjoyed the show very much.

I particularly enjoyed the tap dancing, you don't get to see it very often these days although I see that 42nd Street is opening soon.

Jonathan just keeps getting better... amazing voice and great rapport with the audience.

I hope Natalie is feeling better now.

Maureen x

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 15:35 
Super Duper Fan

Thank you Shelley for fantastic review. enjoyed reading the details ;;

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 19:39 
Super Duper Fan

Thank you all ladies for the great reviews.

It was a fabulous That's Entertainment show in Wimbledon and Jonathan was the icing on the cake! wonderful performances as only Jonathan can. The audiences were vocal the show was just fabulous the atmosphere just magic!!

So pleased you are on the mend again Natalie take care.

Maureen it was lovely seeing you at the matinee we so wished that you and Ruth could have stayed to the evening show too but I know it was a long journey for you both. We had a great afternoon and it was lovely that everyone got to see Jonathan at the stage door too. He took time to chat with everyone and had pic's taken. What a lovely gent. It was a great fun atmosphere I remember looking around and just seeing so many happy smiling folks!! x

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 23:49 
Super Fan

Thanks Shelley for the wonderful review :)
Went to the matinee show on the Saturday and Wimbledon was so easy for me to get to on the tube.I had not seen any shows at Windsor so was all new to me. I met Natalie at noon and we headed to get something to eat for lunch ,met with Shelley and Mo so was great to have a catch up.
On being seated I was in good company with Mo and Shelley behind me and Christine and Colin next to me :-)
I thought the show was fabulous, the singers great and the dancing fantastic, especially the tap dancing. Was great that Jonathan had several appearances as he left the stage each time you knew more was to come :-) Jonathan sang most of my favourites and sang a little of Volare directly to me whilst I beamed smiling. Great that Jonathan got a standing ovation too, much, much deserved! A treat to hear Jonathan sing Over The Rainbow, amazing!
Thanks Jonathan for taking time to see us at the stage door after the show and having a selfie with me!:-D
Now looking forward to seeing Jonathan with G4 in Chesterfield soon yay! Cannot wait!

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 07:30 
Super Duper Fan

Hi Doreen :wave

It was lovely to see you and your friends at the matinee on Thursday, so pleased you all enjoyed the show. Lots of smiles around the stage door it was great fun. Take care hope to see you all again soon.

Hi Sheila :wave it was great being sat next to you, really enjoyed every moment of this fabulous show. See you again soon. x

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 15:29 
Major Fan

Hi Christine and Colin

It was lovely to see both of you, Natalie and everyone else. Jan, Pat and I really enjoyed the show. We thought Jonathan was terrific as usual and he certainly deserved the standing ovation. After the show we were pleased we waited to see Jonathan and had some lovely photos with him. Unfortunately we could not stay long as we had to get the train back home. We arrived back home at 8pm. Pleased to hear you are recovering from your fall Natalie. Unfortunately we cannot get to another show until Chichester in December. Look forward to seeing you then.